Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The 60th Annual Tony Award Nominations

Well, they are out, and I was right! (yeah! finally! since I seem to completely predict the wrong thing on American Idol)

The Drowsy Chaperone leads the pact with 13 nominations! Though Jersey Boys seems to be its' biggest competition. No big surprise.

I'm happy that in the acting categories, Samuel Barnett got a nod along with Richard Griffiths, and Frances de la Tour for The History Boys.

I'm glad Allison Pill got one for The Lieutenant of Inishmore and that Bob Martin, Sutton Foster and Beth Leavel (as the Drowsy Chaperone) got nods for The Drowsy Chaperone, although I guess they were kind of a given. I still wish I saw Sweeney Todd since it had such excellent reviews and cast, who all seemed to be nominated.

As for Overall Productions, a pretty good lot, but how did The Threepenny Opera get in there? Didn't that get trashed in the reviews?

Three Days of Rain is missing (except in it's Set Design and Lighting, which were excellent) but that is no surprise. Again, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the rumours that have been flying around. I really enjoyed it.

Anyways, not that anybody cares about the Tony's or will watch it but I'll have my predictions and hopes as we get closer to the June11th date (a week later than normal). Wonder if the always entertaining Hugh Jackman will be hosting again?

No comments: