Tuesday, April 17, 2007

American Idol - A Little Bit Country, A Little Bit Loss of Soul

Top 7 Country Night with Martina McBride

Phil Stacey sings most likely his last song,Keith Urban's "The Black Top Ends". It got glowing reviews from the judges, but it was okay. Again, he has good tone, and he seems like a nice guy, but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... wake me up after the next commercial break.

Jordin Sparks sings Martina McBride's "A Broken Wing". Again, the judges love it. Again, apparently I'm cranky pants tonight. I mean, I so want it do be a showdown between Jordin, Melinda and Blake but I didn't absolutely love it. It was comparable but lacking something for me.

Sanjaya looking like a lesbo mechanic sings "Something To Talk About" originally done by Bonnie Raitt. Crap. I like this song. Now it's going to be ruined. Not as bad as I thought it would be but still, really... this is just getting shameful. He is technically improving now that he's more confident and with less care about this competition, but seriously, Haley is gone now, and it's time to go (but he won't and Phil will probably be leaving).

LaKisha sings "Jesus Takes The Wheel". Good performance but I kinda fell asleep. Literally. Gym at 5:30 am is painful I tell ya.

Chris Richardson sings one of my faves, "Mayberry" from Rascal Flatts, and other than the da dum da dum da dum part which was kinda funny, I thought it was suprisingly good. Meanwhile, the judges didn't really like it. There were some tin sounds and couple of sharps, but then again, so does the original song. Oh well, I was seduced by the eyes. I know this will get a lot of haters in the blogosphere.

Melinda Doolittle sings "Trouble Is A Woman" by Julie Reeves. Never heard the song, but didn't matter. Holy Cowboy that was amazing. Who knew she would be so good at Country? Well, why did I even doubt her? And again, she seems like that fabulous girlfriend that you would sit around the couch eating ice cream gossiping your troubles away.

Blake Lewis sings Tim McGraws "When The Stars Go Blue". I finally figured it out. His mouth is a bit Dominic Monaghan's, a bit Robin Williams. Still, I thought he did a pretty great job, though tonally was slightly a bit off at times but man, what's up with Simon today? He seems particularly grouchy this week. I know he thinks this years crop is a bummer one, but do they not remember every other year? I'm sorry but EVERY year at this point, there's few standout (with the exception of Kelly Clarkson and Chris Daughtry). I think this years crop are all pretty good and definitely no worse than previous seasons. I think we just forget and think everyone was like Kelly Clarkson. I can tell you, she was the only one from her season (with maybe the exception of Tamyra Gray but I wasn't a HUGE fan of hers either so wasn't sad to see her go).

Best of the night: Clearly Melinda
Most misunderstood of the night: Chris Richardson
Worst of the night: do I have to say it? Sanjaya
Will leave tomorrow: Phil Stacey though I think Chris or LaKisha might be in trouble.

No comments: