Thursday, May 22, 2008

Will John McCain Walk Ellen Down The Aisle?

Why I'm reminded that I should love Ellen and watch her show more when I can:


Thanks to Towleroad for the clip and tipoff.

Never cared for her dancing but she's with Portia! That's just cool!

Also, ModFab tipped off this hilarious, if not downright frightening site:

Things Younger Than John McCain

Towleroad had also transcribed the Ellen clip of her interview with John McCain where she nicely grills him on his anti-gay marriage stance.

MCCAIN: I just believe in the unique status of marriage between man and woman. And I know that we have a respectful disagreement on that issue.

ELLEN: Mm-hmm. Yeah. I think that it is looked at and some people are saying the same that blacks and women did not have the right to vote. Women just got the right to vote in 1920. Blacks didn't have the right to vote till 1870. It just feels like there's this old way of thinking (that) we are not all the same. We are all the same people. All of us. You're no different than I am. Our love is the same. (applause) To me what it feels like just, you know, I will speak for myself...it feels when someone says you can have a contract and you'll still have insurance and you'll get all that. It sounds to me like saying well you can sit there (points in one direction), you just can't sit there (points in another direction). That's what it sounds like to me. It doesn't feel inclusive. It feels isolated. It feels like we aren't owed the same things and the same wording.

MCCAIN: Well, I've heard you articulate that position in a very eloquent fashion. We just have a disagreement and I, along with many, many others wish you every happiness.

ELLEN: Thank you. So you'll walk me down the aisle? Is that what you said?

(laughter)

MCCAIN: Touché

No comments: