Thursday, January 21, 2010

Best of Television 2009

I know this is a little late AND considering how far behind I've fallen in 2009, not the most accurate or complete list. Plus, if you've already seen my Best Television of Decade list, this won't be all that different. And if it's not there, it might be in the Best One Season Hit Wonders list. So this is not going to be terribly new or exciting.

And due to cable issues, I never got a chance to see the latest season of Mad Men nor several other cable shows (including Damages, Breaking Bad or True Blood).

I know. I might as well not write a TV blog.

But alas, in keeping with my yearly lists, Here's my picks for the Best of Television for 2009
(With the ranking from the two previous lists (Best of 2008/ Best of TV - Fall 2007/ Winter 2008 Season) in parenthesis.):

1. Friday Night Lights (DirecTV/NBC) - (1, 3)



2. Lost (ABC) - (2, 1)



3. Modern Family (ABC) - (New)



4. Glee (FOX) - (New)



5. Nurse Jackie (Showtime) - (NEW)


6. The United States of Tara (Showtime) - (NEW)


7. Gavin & Stacey - BBCAmerica (4, New)


8. 30 Rock (NBC) - (5, 4)


9. Better Off Ted (ABC) - (NEW)


10. The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - (20, Not Ranked)


11. Ugly Betty (ABC) - (7, 9)

12. Southland (NBC) - (NEW)

13. Bones (FOX) - (15, 15)

14. Top Chef (Bravo) - (14, Not Ranked)

15. Desperate Housewives (ABC) - (13, 18)

16. Chuck (NBC) - (10, 12)

17. Greek - (abcFamily) - (Not Ranked)

18. The Office (NBC) - (16, 14)

19. So You Think You Can Dance/So You Think You Can Dance Canada - (FOX/CTV) - (9, 8/11)

20. Burn Notice (USA) - (17, 7)

Shows I've Totally Fallen Behind On That I Still Love:
Breaking Bad
Damages
Fringe
Mad Men
Supernatural

Old Shows That Got Great Again:
The Real World: Brooklyn

New Shows That Turned Out Better Than Expected (that aren't already listed above, here listed alphabetically):
Cougar Town
Dollhouse
The Good Wife
The Middle
Party Down
Royal Pains
10 Things I Hate About You
The Vampire Diaries
White Collar

New Shows That Had a Slow Start But Have Vastly Improved:
Community
Parks & Recreation

Shows That Are Slipping
Gossip Girl
The New Adventures of Old Christine
Weeds

Shows That Deserved More Life
Kings
Privileged
Pushing Daisies
The Unusuals
Worst Week

Shows I've Dropped Or Considering Dropping
90210
Grey's Anatomy
Melrose Place
Private Practice

______________________________________

Best of 2009 Lists: Coming soon
Best of Music 2009
Best of Television 2009
Best of Stage 2009
Best of Movies 2009

Decadeworthy - The Best of 2000-2009 Lists:
SYTYCDworthy (w/ Videos) - List Format
Theatre of the Decade
Best Films of the Decade
Favorite Films of the Decade
Television of the Decade
Television of the Decade - 1 Season Wonders

Previous Best-of Lists:
Best of 2008 Lists:
Best of Music 2008
Best of Television 2008
Best of Stage 2008
Best of Movies 2008
Best of Television Fall '07 - Winter '08 List

Best of 2007 Lists:
Best of Music 2007
Best of Television 2007
Best of Movies 2007
Best of Stage 2007
Best of 2007 (The Final Wrap Up)
Best of Television Fall '06 - Winter '07 List

Best of 2006 Lists:
Best of Music 2006
Best of Television 2006
Best of Movies 2006
Best of 2006
Best of Television Fall '05 - Winter '06 List

Best of 2005 Lists:
Best of Television 2005
Best of Movies 2005

Vance at http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was agreeing with pretty much everything on this list, until I saw where you'd placed Private Practice. That is my current FAVOURITE show, along with 30 Rock, Glee and Better Off Ted. I'm also in love with Cougar Town, and yes, it turned out to be a lot better than I expected. Desperate Housewives is still, despite of all our differences (hehe), the love of my life. And Pushing Daisies should NEVER have been cancelled. I'm still upset about that.

I've watched the first five episodes of Community, and so far I think it's brilliant. I've only watched one episode of The Middle, but so far I like that show as well. Going to catch up on both shows soon! And then I also plan to start watching The Good Wife, Modern Family and Mad Men. Pretty excited about all of them.

Oh, and I HATE Lost! HATE IT. That, and Ugly Betty, are both shows that can go die. Promptly.

Okay, those were my two cents.

Melody Simpson said...

Love your list!

I have to admit though, I'm only on Season 1 of FNL, I stopped watching Nurse Jackie, and I've never seen Gavin & Stacey.

Peter Chan said...

Woohoo! FNL for Life! This season has been amazing so far. Good list. Here's mine:

http://situatedlaundry.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-top-five-television-program-of-2009.html

Dame James said...

My top 10:
1. 30 Rock
2. Sonny With a Chance
3. Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List
4. The United States of Tara
5. Kings
6. Community
7. The New Adventures of Old Christine
8. Privileged
9. Damages
10. Intervention

Ugly Betty is bearable now, but the beginning of this season was simply awful. The Housewives have been seriously fading for awhile. GG this season has been lame.

There's my (predictable) two-cents

Steph said...

You put Modern Family ABOVE Glee... as it should be since as much as I love Glee, MF is the stronger show.