Thursday, December 27, 2007

Best of Music 2007

Let's be honest. It was a weak year in music. Nothing really stood out for me this year. No full album made an impact on me. Whereas last year was filled with stuff that I squeezed into my list, this year, I barely have to do that and I'm only doing that because it's really become the best of the mediocre music of the year. So here are my choices for "best" of music, which for me is a mix between what affected me the most and what I loved, what I found repeat worthy, and what I find was quality (which was in short demand this year and I think I'm getting older because I'm starting to get bored of the "cool good stuff" (as in, you won't see Bob Dylan on this list)) and I'm unapologetic now with my love of fluffy pop ditties.

So here's my list of the Best of Music 2007 (with all the videos below after the jump):

1. Rihanna - singles "Umbrella" and "Hate That I Love You" with Neyo - Songs

It was pretty undeniable that Rihanna's single "Umbrella" feat. JayZ was supposed to be the most annoying song all year, especially with that refrain "'ella, ella ella" but it's damn catchy and I'm still singing it and loving it. Meanwhile, the collision with smooth voiced Neyo granted us another song I'm supposed to hate but really love, and I can't stop loving "Hate That I Love You".













2. Timbaland - singles "The Way I Are" with Keri Hilson and "Apologize" with One Republic - Songs

I still think it's a crock that "Apologize" is billed as Timbaland featuring OneRepublic and not the other way around but So You Think You Can Dance helped introduce both these songs to me and yet again made them some of my favorites of the year.














3. Stuart Matthew Price - "The Old Red Hills of Home" - Parade - Musical Performance on Stage at the Donmar Warehouse, London, UK

From the moment the naive boyish looking blond actor stepped on stage in a full Southern Confederate soldier's uniform and opened his mouth, singing the gorgeous song "The Old Red Hills of Home" to Jayne Wisener (Sweeney Todd movie) in her southern belle dress, in the pared down revival of the Jason Scott Brown musical Parade, I was entranced and captivated and it's been re-playing in my mind ever since, amazing since I've never actually seen it again (and still waiting for the new Donmar Warehouse production Cast Recording to show up in North America).


4. Zac Efron - Songs from High School Musical 2 "Bet On It", "Everyday", "All For One" and Hairspray , "Ladies Choice", and "Without Love" - Songs

Both Hairspray the movie and High School Musical 2 were the epitome of reviving the fun of musicals on screen and you had to give it to Zac Efron for bursting beyond his pretty boy tween stardom image and carrying each song he was given. "Bet On It" alone deserves high praise for the gay corniness of it all, and "Without Love" is such a delight that it made me like Hairspray again (I thought the stage version was okay, not amazing).














5. Michael Bublé - the singles "Lost" and "Everything" - Songs

Some people hate Bublé's crooning to new original songs, personally, I love it, and it plays on high repeat all the time.


6. Fall Out Boy - the singles "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race", "Thnks fr th Mmrs", "I'm Like A Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me + You)" - Songs

I didn't like the album as a whole when played properly but separate the songs and I think they were the best of the rock/emo/pop (or whatever it's called now) scene this year.


7. All American Pretty Boys Who Sing - Jon McLaughlin - "Beautiful Disaster" (from Indiana) and "So Close" (from the Enchanted soundtrack) - and Josh Turner - "Firecracker" - Songs

Those good looking guys that can sing lovely tunes? Yeah, we'd hate them too if they weren't so pretty and their songs and voice weren't so lovely. Jon McLaughlin moves in on John Mayer AND takes over the musical ballad throne long disappeared from the Disney animated movie world, while country boy Josh Turner and his low manly voice sings a faster paced ditty that's both sparkling fun and downhome charming.













8. Girls I Like - Colbie Caillat - "Bubbly" - Song, and Feist - "1234" - Video

Cute can't start to describe "Bubbly" or Feist's video (after the jump) for "1234".













9. Girl I Hate with a Song I Love - Amy Winehouse - "Rehab" - Song

Still hate her but there's no denying that her song is pretty good. Now where DOES that voice come from all that mess?


10. Anthony Callea - "Addicted To You" - Song

I would have done the whole album but it's technically 2006. It's pure cheese but with most of the boybands either out of commission but desperate for a comeback, we can at least thank heavens that somewhere in a British colony, they are still producing pop cheese like this!


Honourable Mention: Jimmy Eat World - Chase This Light, Album - given more time and I think it would have made the list since I tend to fall in love with this band's song with time.

Videos after the jump:

1. Rihanna - "Umbrella"



Rihanna feat. Neyo - "Hate That I Love You"




2. Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson - "The Way I Are"



Timbaland feat. OneRepublic - "Apoligize"




3. Stuart Matthew Price - "The Old Red Hills of Home" - Parade




4. Zac Efron - High School Musical 2 "Bet On It"



Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens - High School Musical 2 "Everyday"



Zac Efron and the cast of High School Musical 2 "All For One"



Zac Efron - Hairspray "Ladies Choice"



Zac Efron, Amanda Bynes, Elijah Kelley, Nicky Blonsky and cast - Hairspray "Without Love"




5. Michael Bublé - "Lost"



Michael Bublé - "Everything"


Michael Buble - Everything


6. Fall Out Boy - "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race"


This Ain'T A Scene, It'S An Arms Race

Fall Out Boy - "Thnks fr th Mmrs"


Fall Out Boy - Thnks fr th Mmrs

Fall Out Boy - "I'm Like A Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me + You)"


Fall Out Boy - I'm Like A Lawyer (Me + You)


7. Jon McLaughlin - "Beautiful Disaster"



Jon McLaughlin - "So Close"



Josh Turner - "Firecracker"




8. Colbie Caillat - "Bubbly"



Feist - "1234"




9. Amy Winehouse - "Rehab"


AMY_WINEHOUSE Rehab


10. Anthony Callea - "Addicted To You"


Anthony Callea - Addicted to you

Best of 2007 Lists:
Best of Music 2007
Best of Television 2007
Best of Movies 2007
Best of Stage 2007
Best of 2007 (The Final Wrap Up)

Previous Best-of Lists:
Best of Music 2006
Best of Television Fall '06 - Winter '07 List
Best of Television 2006
Best of Movies 2006
Best of 2006

Best of Television Fall '05 - Winter '06 List
Best of Television 2005
Best of Movies 2005

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your TV lists (though you really need to check out some of the American cable stuff, notably, Battlestar Galactica), but you have shit taste in music. Such dreck. You need to check out some music other than what the major labels and the radio tell you that you should be listening to. This list is closer to my "Worst of 2007" than my best of. Check out the 2007 releases by Radiohead, The Shins, LCD Soundsystem, The Arcade Fire, Panda Bear, Band of Horses, El-P, Wilco, Beirut, and the rest of the Feist CD (you came close on that one) for a real top ten.

Vance said...

Ha, I guess I didn't repeat myself like last year but I admit that my taste in music goes to the poppy crap and I fully admit it! I used to like all that Arcade Fire, Shins and stuff but my moods changed (as it always does for music) and its gone back to the sugary brainless stuff. Though again, things could change again.

But the list is based on how I felt about the year! (you gotta give me points for admiting all this. ha!)