Remembering that I tend to like my poppy music with deep hooks, and I kinda cheated with this list, but here is what I deem as the Best of Music of 2006
1. New Musicals - Spring Awakening The Musical – Eugene O’Neil Theater – lyrics by Steven Sater, Music by Duncan Sheik, High School Musical – The Disney Channel
One is a complete jump forward in musical storytelling, one is a jump back to the classic campy fun of musicals. Both are about young teenagers discovering love (or so to speak). One has a cast album with a parental advisory, the other is perfect for kids of all ages.
2. Dallas Green – for his solo band’s Sometimes Album – City and Colour, “The Grace” – Neverending White Lights ft. Dallas Green, “Boiled Frogs” – Alexisonfire
Yes, Dallas Green is in all three, which if you heard them back to back, you may be surprised. Still, as City and Colour had the best album of the year, and "The Grace" was the best song of the year.
3. Songs from So You Think You Can Dance – Justin Timberlake’s “SexyBack” and “My Love”, Imogen Heap's “Hide and Seek”, Ne-Yo’s “Sexy Love”
4. Rascal Flatts – “What Hurts the Most” Song
A croony and corny country ballad at its most addictive.
5. Albums from Boys featured on Grey’s Anatomy – The Fray’s How To Save a Life , Snow Patrol’s Eyes Open, Gnarls Barkley’s St Elsewhere, Matt Kearney’s Nothing Left to Lose
6. Edgier Attitude Female Pop - The Veronica’s – “I Could Get Used To This” Song, Nelly Furtado – “Maneater”
7. The All American Rejects – Move Along Album
The catchiest and most fun rock/pop album of the year.
8. Political Pop – Dixie Chicks – “Not Ready To Make Nice”, John Mayer – “Waiting for the World to Change”
9. UK Whining – Keane – Under the Iron Sea Album, Embrace – This New Day Album, Lily Allen – Alright, Still Album
From across the pond, more lyrical ditties with enchanting melodies that found itself on repeat no matter where I was in the world.
10. Raul Esparza’s Performance of “Being Alive” in Company, Barrymore Theater
Mesmerizing and redefines the classic Broadway song to a whole new level. A star making performance.
Honourable Mentions: Josh Rouse’s “Sad Eyes” Song, Three Days Grace – “Animal I Have Become” Song, Orson – “No Tomorrow” Song, Teddy Geiger – Underage Thinking, The Feeling – In Concert at Koolhaus, Josh Turner's "Your Man" and "Would You Go With Me" Songs