Tapeworthy

Monday, December 31, 2012

Best of Music 2012

Alright, from my previous lists, you can probably see a pattern with my music choices:
Best of Music 2011

Yah, the same people are basically on this year's list as last year. Either they're all consistent or I'm getting old and my tastes are solidifying.

Here are my picks for the Best of Music 2012: (this year only singles made my top lists. No full album made the cut)

1. David Guetta feat. Sia - "Titanium" and various covers.
David Guetta and Sia created a supremely catchy song with a solid and shiny beat, but the song is in the number one spot because it works in every type of cover version. Many many cover versions. From Kris Allen's cover, to being sung in the shower by Anna Kendrick and Brittany Snow in Pitch Perfect, Chris Salvatore, Boyce Avenue, etc. etc. etc.. The song seems impenetrable. And well, dare I say it? Bulletproof. It's Titanium.


2. Hedley - "Kiss You Inside Out"
Ok, so it's totally about sex, but Jacob Hoggard and his band are now what? 4/4 of late? and Jacob and sex? Yah, of course it's a perfect fit.


3. One Direction - "Live While We're Young"
Hey, they're young and they're flaunting it, and that's okay, especially when they give us the most peppy pop song since last year's "What Makes You Beautiful" (on the 2011 list).


4. fun feat. Janelle Monáe - "We Are Young"
Technically came out in 2011, but made famous and discovered by most (including me) in 2012. An anthem for the ages.


5. Adele - "Skyfall"
The best Bond Girl in ages. Seductive, sultry, and shaken, not stirred. A Bond theme song that actually made the movie better.


Makes every movie trailer better.


7. Maroon 5 - feat. Wiz Khalifa on "Payphone" and "Daylight"
Love or hate Adam Levine, he (and his band who I would not be point out if it were only them and Adam Levine standing in a photo together) creates some damn catchy tunes (minus the incredibly catchy but annoying "One More Night" which of course, is probably the biggest hit yet).


8. Demi Lovato - "Give Your Heart A Break"
"Sonny" manages to give a heartbreaking, but boppy tune that manages to hint at Demi's darker side (that the tabloids have showed) and still being a great pop song. The raspy voice is a nice contrast to her sweet demeanor.


9. Pink - "Try"
I can't believe I'm putting Pink on my list. I find she generally puts on catchy tunes that become annoying very fast. And maybe "Try" hasn't been out long enough? But there's something far deeper and more sophisticated in this song than her usual fare, and her voice and attitude seem like a perfect fit here. And as a bonus, it doesn't hurt to feature Colt Prattes (How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying on Broadway) in the video.


10. Kris Allen - "The Vision of Love"
What does it take for this guy to get a mainstream hit? Another terrific song, great beat, great voice, solid pop tune, but this never got much airplay, but it'll remain on my repeat playlist.


Honourable Mentions: (in alphabetical order)

Adam Lambert - "Better Than I Know Myself"
Artists Against Bullying - "True Colors"
Big Time Rush - "Elevate"
Brad Paisley - "Southern Comfort Zone"
Conor Maynard - "Can't Say No"
Eleven Past One - "The World Is Ours"
Jesse Labelle feat. Alyssa Reid - "Heartbreak Coverup"
Kelly Clarkson - "Dark Side" and "Catch My Breath"
Luke Bryan - "Drunk On You"
Lumineers - "Hey Ho"
Mumford and Sons - "I Will Wait"
Phillip Phillips - "Home"
Zac Brown Band - "Goodbye In Her Eyes"


Undecided - Love 85% of the song. The other 15% sucks:
Rihanna - "Diamonds"
Taylor Swift - "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"
Justin Bieber feat. Big Sean - "As Long As You Love Me"
Bruno Mars - "Locked Out of Heaven"
fun - "Some Nights"
muse - "Madness"


The Best of Music 2012 List in Video format: 

1. David Guetta feat. Sia - "Titanium"



2. Hedley - "Kiss You Inside Out"



3. One Direction - "Live While We're Young"



4. fun feat. Janelle Monáe - "We Are Young"



5. Adele - "Skyfall"



6. Imagine Dragons - "It's Time"



7. Maroon 5 - feat. Wiz Khalifa on "Payphone" and "Daylight"



8. Demi Lovato - "Give Your Heart A Break"



9. Pink - "Try"



10. Kris Allen - "The Vision of Love"



_________________________________________

Best of 2012 Lists:
Best of Music 2012
Best of Television 2012
Best of Movies 2011/12

Previous Best-of Lists:
Best of 2011 Lists:

Best of 2010 Lists:

Best of 2009 Lists:

Decadeworthy - The Best of 2000-2009 Lists:

Best of 2008 Lists:

Best of 2007 Lists:

Best of 2006 Lists:

Best of 2005 Lists:


Vance at http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

No comments:

International Jock Crocs, Inc. Bare Necessities>