Thursday, August 31, 2006

Little Miss Sunshine – Movie Review


I love my indie movies and I love my quirky casts but this little indie-movie-that-can is a cute enjoyable time with an excellent cast of favourites (Toni Collette, Greg Kinnear and Steve Carrell, all favourites of mine) but still not the summer movie breakout I was hoping it would be (or that everyone is telling me that it is).
Now that we’ve established that indie movies have their own clichés, with the quirky characters with the quirky ticks, and slightly depressed mopey attitudes, and a simpler storyline usually more about growth of the characters than anything actually happening, I expect much more depth or emotion or soul or laughter. Little Miss Sunshine offers a parting glance at some depth and it has some good laughs, but its’ strength is in the actors fleshing out what really are just caricatures in a another “crazy” family road movie/make-fun-of-beauty pageants-because-we-are-oh-so-much-better-than-that, which really, is all just too easy. Steve Carrell particularly stands out in a great cast, but in the end, I found the movie as a cute trifle but nothing more. Though the running scenes while pushing the Volkswagen Van was always hilarious (as seen in the poster).

7/10 or a B-

2 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

It's telling for this movie that your's is just about the most negative review I've seen, and you still gave it a B- .. I skipped this one when it finally opened in my little corner of the world in favor of Idlewild, and was only rewarded with a cinematic bomb .. I won't be making that mistake again!

Vance said...

Really? Was I that negative? I just felt the story was very plain (and not in a good exploratory soul searching way (like some better indies like You Can Count on Me or The Station Agent)) but was buoyed basically by an excellent group of actors so that I could still enjoy the movie, I just don't think it'll be Oscar worthy or anything. So no in the Idlewild huh? damnit... I was looking forward to that.