Monday, January 12, 2009

The Underdogs Finally Prevail!

Vance at http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com:

The Golden Globes Awards were on. Yay. (Finger in the air in circles)

Okay. I actually do love them but considering everyone else is live blogging the damn thing, I can't be bothered.

But considering the awards show got a LOT right (or at least acceptable), AND there were a lot of funny speeches and intro (The best: Ricky Gervais, runners up: Anybody from 30 Rock including Tracy Jordan, Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin), it was a good year.

Yays on Kate Winslet winning everything! To make up for losing at the Oscars every damn time. Meryl eat your heart out. Also, yay for looking so smokin' hot! Eat your heart out James Cameron.

Yay for Colin Farrell. He may be a bad boy but he sounds SOOO good in his native Irish accent. (I just thought of something very dirty with the words lick and Irish Cream but I won't say it. I think I'll go have some Bailey's now...)

Yay for the Slumdog Millionaire sweep! Dev Patel and Freida Pinto looked SOOOO cute on the red carpet! Yay to Danny Boyle! The composer! Simon Beaufoy! And for now being the official front runner to the Oscars! I feel like doing a Bollywood dance now!

Yay for newcomer Sally Hawkins and for showing that not everybody has a stylist still.

Yay for Vicky Cristina Barcelona. I liked In Bruges more but I'm happy with this choice.

Yay for Jenna Fischer who looked positively HOT!

No huge surprises but Yay for Mad Men, Wall*E and Heath Ledger.

As for the boos:

Boos to Renee Zellweger for her dress and her hair. WTF was that? Sally Hawkins is an unknown actress from England and has an excuse. You can afford it ReyRey, and you have no excuse. (And what's with that new Alaskan movie you're doing with Harry Connick Jr. anyways? Lame).

Boos to The Wrestler for Bruce Springsteen's song (not Mickey Rourke's Best Actor award. Everyone loves a comeback!). Another Springsteen song? Really? Because it sounds so different than the last bunch of songs he did for movies? I once loved Brucie but now it all sounds the same.

Boos to Laura Dern in her cartoonish performance in Recount. The rest of the cast was awesome but really? For Laura?

Boo to Will Arnet who looked positively bored when Heath Ledger won and they started slowly giving him the obligatory standing ovation. Love you Arnet but at least fake some sympathy.

Boo to Jeremy Piven for showing up. I thought you were sick?

Really? to Anna Paquin? Was she that good in True Blood?

Really to Waltz With Bashr? The concept was neat and the animation was incredible but it was SOOO self-involved and contrived and the movie would have been so much more powerful if the narrator didn't drone on and on about himself and his dreams all in an effort to "remember".

Gabriel Byrne huh? really?

And so much for John Adams? I mean, I love Laura Linney, Paul Giamatti and Tom Wilkinson but another one for someone in a Mini-series over Neil Patrick Harris in How I Met Your Mother? I'm sick of this sh#t.

But okay okay... generally it was a pretty good night.

I think I'll go do that basketball dance now.

1 comment:

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

I was absolutely thrilled for "Slumdog Millionaire" and hope it carries the Oscars, too.