Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th

There's nothing I can really say that would soften the memories of 5 years ago but now that we are upon the 5th anniversary of that horrific day, are we really ready to actually deal or relive it through all the documentaries and films coming out?

I tried to watch Path to 9/11 last night on ABC but found myself bored, and while I'm dubious of any Nicolas Cage movies nowadays, World Trade Center seems to be getting pretty good word, and seems the least Oliver Stone movie for Oliver Stone.

However, I'm here to recommend again the smaller movie that came out earlier this year (now on DVD), United 93. It was brilliantly directed by Paul Greengrass and fascinating and cathartic and horrible and moving and emotional and almost scientific and cold in its analysis of the events leading up to Flight 93 on that day.

At this point in time, it has been by far the best movie I have seen this year, and will probably remain within the top 5 or top 10 of the year. I know many people have said to me its horrendous that they have made a movie of it, and that Hollywood is trying to make money out of the tragedy. Maybe. I don't know how I feel about all that at this point. I do know that watching United 93 was horrible yet extremely cathartic and was a beautifully made film and I highly recommend seeing it. Stephen King actually has an interesting argument that I completely agree with. Okay, I guess I do have an opinion about it then.

No comments: