Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Check PBS Mate

That Chess concert I mentioned over 15 months ago? It's finally airing on PBS (and to think those Hamlet tickets I bought back when I first posted about it is STILL upcoming!). Chess in concert from Royal Albert Hall (filmed last May in London) is set to air tonight, June 17th, on Great Performances at 9pm though check local listings (I know the Buffalo station we get in Toronto always does their own thing and can never follow the national schedule (WTF?)).

And yes, it's Josh Groban doing musical theatre. And from the clips from the last time he did it (with Sutton Foster, Adam Pascal and Raul Esparza amongst others), he seems like a total natural.

This time, Sutton is out and Pascal's Rent co-star Idina Menzel (Wicked) takes over.

And yes, Chess was written by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeu. Yes, the ABBA guys. And yes, it spawned the song "One Night In Bangkok" AND the musical IS actually about Chess players.



Here's an interview with the always adorable Josh Groban about the Chess concert:


Vance at http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Esther said...

Looking forward to this. I don't think I've ever heard any of the music.

It's airing at 3 a.m. Monday where I live. (Even though I'm in Providence, I get a Hartford, Conn., PBS ststion on my DirecTV satellite service. Go figure!)

Keira Andrews said...

It drives me bonkers how the Buffalo PBS never airs the national stuff! I'd really love to see this. Hmmmph.