Thursday, March 05, 2009

Phylicia Rashad Is Going To Be The Worst Mom Ever

In the most interesting bit of colourblind casting, best TV mom EVER Claire Huxtable's Phylicia Rashad is joining the cast of Broadway's August: Osage County as probably the WORST mom EVER!

I didn't think it was the BEST PLAY EVER as many others seem to deem it but I thought it was very good and a highly entertaining one, but with Phylicia joining the cast on May 26th 2009 to play Violet Weston (originated by Deanna Dunagan and currently played by Estelle Parsons), I kind of want to see this show again now. Plus it'll be an interesting take to have a black matriarch in what feels like the whitest play ever (probably why I couldn't connect to it fully). (Okay, it's really more white dysfunctional family play so it's semi-universal but you know, still).

Also, while Rashad's Claire Huxtable could be very strict and strong, she was probably the most loving and kind mother too, and so it'll be fun to watch her be super nasty in August: Osage County.





Vance at http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Esther said...

I'm always intrigued by nontraditional, colorblind casting, so I'm intrigued by this, too. What I'd really like to see would be an all-black, Jewish, Latino, or Asian cast for the play. I think that would be really interesting. I'm sure those will come.

Chris Caggiano said...

Hmm, the worst mom ever? I think Medea may give Violet Weston a run for her money.

;-)

--cc

Vance said...

Oh that's true! Granted, is it worse to endure a bad mom until adulthood? At least Medea's kids didn't suffer for very long!