Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Better Comedy?

In The Motherhood looks pretty bad but I adore Cheryl Hines (about the only reason I could tolerate Curb Your Enthusiasm) and Megan Mullaly (Will & Grace). It premieres on ABC on Thursday, March 26th at 8pm in Ugly Betty's timeslot and paired with Samantha Who?, but I don't really see it catching on and holding its own against Survivor or Bones. Hopefully it surprises me, since ABC's previous preggers comedy Notes From the Underbelly ended up being far funnier than one could imagine, but I have a feeling Ugly Betty might get its timeslot faster than anticipated.



Better off is Better Off Ted which premieres on ABC on Wednesday, March 18th at 8:30pm.

It's got two things going for it.

1) A new and different place of occupation for a television show (" a research and development department at a morally questionable corporation, Veridian Technologies. No achievement is too far fetched and no invention too unorthodox for Veridian").

2) Portia de Rossi (Arrested Development, Ellen's wife)

It also stars Jay Harrington (Private Practice, US Coupling), Andrea Anders (Joey, The Class) and Jonathan Slavin (hilarious in Andy Richter Controls The Universe).

Plus, this promo actually looks pretty hilarious:



I still think the show title is horrible but the more I'm finding out about this show, the more excited I am about it, and maybe it's because of Portia's participation, but I'm getting a feeling of an Arrested Development in the workplace vibe!

There's also Surviving Suburbia with Cynthia Stevenson and Bob Saget that premieres on ABC in the post Dancing with the Stars slot on Monday, April 6th at 9:30pm. But it sounds like another family show set in suburbia and stars Bob Saget. I mean, I loved Full House. When I was 12. But this new suburban sitcom had better be a biting satire to peak my interest, and from what I've read and the little I've seen so far, it doesn't look promising.

Vance at http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Melody Simpson said...

I agree that In The Motherhood doesn't look like it will be an entertaining show. I would say hopefully it will surprise everyone and be a great show although I am a pretty big Ugly Betty fan so you can see what side I am on. Better Off Ted looks pretty good and Portia will definitely make more people watch.

Vance said...

Yah, I sort of dismissed Better Off Ted at first until I realized Portia was in it, and then still. But was pleasantly surprised by the trailer so I have high hopes!