Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Look Out (Broadway)! Here comes the Spider-Man (The Musical That Is)

OMG. It's really happening.

Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, the new musical by Bono and The Edge, being directed by Julie Taymor (The Lion King), starring Evan Rachel Wood and ?Jim Sturgess?

Previews begin January 16th 2010, Opens February 18th 2010 at the Hilton Theatre on Broadway.

I'm actually fascinated to see how they might actually do this. I want to make fun of this but I'm REALLY curious how they're going to approach this.

"The creative team also includes choreographer Daniel Ezralow ("Across the Universe," The Green Bird), set designer George Tsypin (The Magic Flute, The Little Mermaid), costume designer Eiko Ishioka (Academy Award for "Bram Stoker's Dracula," Tony nomination for M. Butterfly), lighting designer Donald Holder (Tony Awards for The Lion King, South Pacific), sound designer Jonathan Deans (Fosse Young Frankenstein, Ragtime) and musical supervisor Teese Gohl ("Across the Universe," "Frida")"

Impressive enough creative team (though I don't know about Tsypin after The Little Mermaid).

UPDATE: Word on the street is they are looking to cast the Green Goblin so I guess he's (one of) the villain(s).

Vance at http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

3 comments:

mB said...

I keep hearing so many mixed things about this, but I'm still enthralled: Taymor can do no wrong in my books so I'll be there... trying to get a cheap seat or panhandling to pay for a good one lol

Vance said...

I'll panhandle on the opposite corner so we get all traffic.

Esther said...

Yeah, I'm not into comic books or superheroes or Evan Rachel Wood, for that matter. But Julie Taymor and Bono really have me excited about this. I am a little worried about the Hilton because it's such a barn. But if anyone can put that space to good use, Julie Taymor can!