Wednesday, August 08, 2007

So You Think You Can Dance - Sexy Six Semi-Finals

Top 6 Performance - Week 8

Hello fellow SYTYCD fanatics! Sadly, I’m away for work in China this week so my sister is here to take over the blog, though apparently she’s shy so won’t comment so I’ll be back Friday where I’ll add some comments later. Since the results show won’t air until Monday, August 13th, it won’t really matter anyways (although it will still be taped Thursday so I’m sure spoilers will be out by Friday morning). (UPDATE: So far nothing, apparently the producers ushered the audiences out of the studio before they announced the real results so that there could be no leaks unless it was internal).

The Judges Are Nigel Lythgoe, Mary Murphy, and Debbie Allen

New week, new partners, TWO dances per pair AND everyone dances a solo again so it’s a busy night, so let’s get started: (and I'm BACK from my trip, and finally watched the episode, so my (Vance) new comments will be below in RED)


Lacey Schwimmer and Pasha Kovalev - Hip Hop - choreographed by Dave Scott - "In The Morning " - Junior Boys
Here is the video clip of Lacey and Pasha's Hip Hop routine:

Lacey and Pasha dance Hip Hop
So super cute. Technically it may not have been a perfect routine, and Lacey seemed to hit her beats hard while Pasha seemed to be doing a more smooth hip hop but nerdy Pasha was ADORABLE and was enough to sell me on it. Which again, goes to show (which I will later reiterate again), personality goes REALLY far in the ENJOYMENT of dance. It's ENJOYABLE to watch Pasha and Lacey have fun with this piece... I'll continue my rant at Lauren and Danny's routines.

Lacey Schwimmer and Pasha Kovalev - Smooth Waltz - choreographed by Hunter Johnson- "A Daisy In December " - Mick McAuley & Winifred Horan
Here is the video clip of Lacey and Pasha's Smooth Waltz routine:

Lacey and Pasha dance Smooth Waltz
Not as good as Pasha's first smooth waltz earlier in the season, but considering it came off the same week as Hip Hop, still impressive.

Lauren Gottlieb and Danny Tidwell - Contemporary - choreographed by Mia Michaels - "Then You Look At Me" – Celine Dion
Here is the video clip of Lauren and Danny's Contemporary routine:

Danny and Lauren dance Contemporary
Mostly an interesting piece and yet I was unmoved, which is the underlying problem I've had with Danny (though less so with Lauren even though I know many SYTYCD fans don't feel anything for Lauren either). Here is why I do not like Danny. He's a bad partner. He's really good at making sure he performs perfectly, but at the expense of not helping out his partners. Maybe it shows the weaknesses of his partners, but this happens with everybody he's paired up with, despite how excellent they are every other week (including Lacey). It's always little things, whether it be at the end of a turn or a connection problem, but he seems focused on making HIM look good, not the PAIR look good in the dance and that's why I've realised I still don't love him more than I probably should. His solo's are getting a little stale now though, while I think Neil is really starting to grow artistically from his gym boy routines he started out with. As for Lauren, again, maybe its her (though she's been having some terrific weeks lately), or maybe Danny let her down but I was impressed in one way, and yet unmoved and slightly underwhelmed for a Mia Michaels routine in another way too.

Lauren Gottlieb and Danny Tidwell - Disco - choreographed by Doriana Sanchez - "Don't Leave Me This Way" – The Communards
Here is the video clip of Lauren and Danny's Disco routine:

Danny and Lauren dance Disco
Um, so much for Doriana having a good run. Her last routine with Neil was awesome but this was nothing that special and again, I didn't feel it from Danny and Lauren again. At this point maybe I've just built a hatred shield towards Danny.

Sabra Johnson and Neil Haskell - Jazz - choreographed by Mandy Moore - "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)" - Eurythmics
Here is the video clip of Sabra and Neil's Jazz routine:

Neil and Sabra dance Jazz
Simply. SUPERB. WOW. HOLY. HOT DAMN! First, Neil, has FEELINGS and is not just the dancing monkey boy people thought in the earlier weeks. Sabra has NOT disappointed once again (and basically now my favorite to win this whole shindig) but WOW. I'm SO loving these two though and I KNEW Neil could do it!

Sabra Johnson and Neil Haskell - Paso Doble - choreographed by Tony Meredith - "España Cani" - Juan & Gennaro
Here is the video clip of Sabra and Neil's Paso Doble routine:

Neil and Sabra dance Paso Doble
The choreography was a bit of a yawner but I just couldn't stop watching these two just because, it's Neil and Sabra, but damn that ending was WAY COOL!

Pasha Solo - "Total Eclipse of the Heart" - Bonnie Tyler

Pasha Solo Week 8
Not his best solo but kind of sweet. Again, his personality is incredibly winning though, plus, ballroom isn't exactly easy to do well and make look good by oneself anyways, but he keeps me watching at least.

Lauren Solo – “Sorry" - Maria Mena

Lauren Solo Week 8
Generally alright, but she has had way better solos as well.

Lacey Solo – “Le Disco" - Shiny Toy Guns

Lacey Solo Week 8
Well, we are learning that Lacey is a GREAT partner but only so-so with the solos, though I'm sure we also partly cast her under harsher judgement because of her relation to cousin Heidi and brother Benji's who have excellent and entertaining solos.

Neil Solo – “Out Of My Hands" - Dave Matthews Band

Neil Solo Week 8
Like I said earlier, he's totally grown so much artistically, incorporating his gymnastic skills into a much more fluid routine, so I'm so happy he's starting to prove the naysayers wrong. Sadly, it might be still too late and seems like fans within the boys are divided between the remaining three so we will see. Personally, I really do think he's top 4 or sure, if not higher.

Sabra Solo – “Rock Your Soul" - Elisa

Sabra Solo Week 8
Again, maybe the 2 routines have exhausted the dancers but not her best either this week but she's still so fabulous and just flips and flicks away across the stage so effortlessly that I'm still amazed she only started dancing 4 years ago.

Danny Solo – “The Fear You Won't Fall" - Joshua Radin

Danny Solo Week 8
Ugh. I seriously tried to like this but again, if this was final 10, I wouldn't want him to go, but my allegiances are now to Neil and Pasha. Sorry Danny fans. I just find him too stylized and rehearsed, almost like a politician. He's good at what he does but I always feel like I've just been had.

Wrap Up

Best Pairing of the Night - : Sabra and Neil
Best Dance of the Night - : Sabra and Neil - Jazz

Worst of the Night - Lauren and Danny

Best Male of the Night - Neil
Best Female of the Night - Sabra

Here's my OVERALL List for this week (last week's standings in parenthesis):
1. Sabra (1)
2. Neil (5)
3. Pasha (3)
4. Lacey (4)
5. Lauren (6)
6. Danny (8)

So again, results will apparently be filmed on Thursday but FOX (and CTV) will not air it until Monday, August 13th, but I'm sure the spoilers will be leaked so check back over the next days for my full report, as well as my commentaries of tonight's performances. Thanks for all reading!





For More on Season 3 of So You Think You Can Dance:
Check here for the most Recent current postings and Latest News on SYTYCD
Top 8 Performances, Top 8 Results
Top 10 Performances, Top 10 Results
Top 12 Performances, Top 12 Results
Top 14 Performances, Top 14 Results
Top 16 Performances, Top 16 Results
Top 18 Performances, Top 18 Results
Top 20 Performances, Top 20 Results
For So You Think You Can Dance Season 2:
Favorite Video Clips
Song List
Live Tour - Toronto
Live Tour - Buffalo, Pics, More Pics

Videos Uploaded by mickeymcc



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lacey and Pasha’s hip-hop routine was actually one of my favorites of the night. Bringing out Pasha’s inner geek and having him do hip-hop was really fun to see. He basically carried the entire routine since Lacey was barely moving for half of it.

I loved Sabra’s solo, but then again, I love nearly everything she does.

I’m kind of torn about Danny and Lauren’s contemporary. No doubt, it was technically sound—at least, for half of it. Then came the other half when they were just kind of running around the stairs for a while. Danny was definitely on point, but Lauren looked like she was faking it. I’m still shocked she’s made it this far. But the judges were dazzled by the entire affair and lapped it up, just like the Mia routine last week.

Pasha’s solo was weird. I think he knows that competing against two other classical dancers, he has to try something different to set himself apart from them. To me, his solo was an attempted fusion of contemporary and ballroom and…it just came out awkward. I admire the effort, but it was just kind of bizarre.

Neil and Sabra’s jazz routine was another of my favorites of the night. It was technically sound and story-driven, with a lot of personality and cool tricks; that, to me, is a perfect routine.

Lauren’s solo was good, but didn’t really impress on me. It’s not great.

Pasha and Lacey’s smooth waltz was technically impressive and kept me engrossed. I think the chemistry isn’t really there, to be honest, but I think a part of that is because you have the two dancers with the best quick footwork on the show doing a slow ballroom number. To me, that is a waste. But it was a good routine, nonetheless.

Neil’s solo was good, but also not great. To me, he’s just Danny Lite.

I’m sorry, but Danny and Lauren’s disco struck me as the worst routine of the night. It just looked awkward and clunky for most of it, and in no way did it compare to Neil and Sara’s disco routine just two weeks before. And Danny was again unsmiling for most of it. It had no energy.

Lacey has never impressed me with her solos, which is just her strutting around. To me, it was even less impressive than Pasha’s, because at least I remembered Pasha’s.

The paso doble between Neil and Sabra was good, but besides the finish, it was not that great. This season, the paso doble has really suffered. The quickstep used to be the killing dance, but the paso doble seems to have taken its place this year.

Of course, Danny excels in solo work—as usual.

My ideal top four would be Pasha, Lacey, Danny, and Sabra. You’ve got two excellent contemporary dancers and two excellent ballroom dancers. I know Neil and Lauren fans will burn me for saying this, but adding either of those two would be redundant (not to mention incredibly boring). Neil is a weaker version of Danny, and having him in the final four would only make him look bad and Danny better. I never thought Lauren deserved to make it this far.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree about the disco routine. It was not good at all. Also, has Wade Robson fallen off the face of the earth? Why haven't we seen any routines choreographed by him for the past few weeks? Did I miss something?

Anonymous said...

I was wondering the same thing about Wade. We haven't seen him since the "anti war solos", hmm. Maybe they are saving him for the top 4 and the finale. I sure hope so, he is one of my favorite choreographers.

As for Wednesday night... I too loved Pasha and Lacey's hip hop routine, and also loved their smooth waltz. I thought they had the best performances of the night. As for solos, none of them really impressed me, last years solos were so much better.

My pick for top 4 would be Pasha, Neil, Sabra and Lacey (although I do not like Lacey's dancing, I like Lauren's even less). Neil has improved a lot over the last few weeks, so hoping he gained some more fans. But more likely it will be Pasha, Danny, Sabra and Lacey as has been the predictable top 4 for a few weeks now.

Anonymous said...

Lacey's solo was a bit skanky. I do not like how she tends to mug at the camera instead of connecting with her partner. IN this solo her bum did the mugging. Benji's solos were classier and more entertaining.

This week's solos were all strong, but somehow they leave me nostalgic for last seasons.

Pasha's solo was also weak but kinda moving if you consider that it was Anya's dress he was dancing with. Aww.

My vote for the Final 4: Sabra, Danny, Neil, Lacey

Freddie L Sirmans, Sr. said...

Just browsing the internet, you have a very, very interesting blog.

Anonymous said...

I just read the article on SYTYCD on Wikipedia, and they already have the elimination results...I'm shocked by the guy who was sent home. I don't know if the article is accurate or not, so read at your own risk.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anonymous!

I think Wikipedia caught it and pulled it. Can you let us know what it said?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I actually think the girl is more surprising than the guy... According to Wikipedia, good bye to Neil and to Lacey!

Anonymous said...

Well, what I read was that it was Lauren and Danny who went home. At first, I thought it was kind of weird that Danny got bumped, but then reading all the SYTYCD forums, everyone was freaking out about Neil and Pasha leaving that I think some major powervoting threw the whole thing askew. I seriously did not visit a single forum where people were not powervoting for Neil or Pasha. So Danny accidentally being bumped off is not out of the question...

Anonymous said...

Once again Vance we see eye to eye 99% of the time. :-)

Anonymous said...

I actually really like Danny! he's improving more...he's becoming more expressive and emotional. i loved lauren and danny's routine, i thought it was awesome .i hated the disco it was dead boring. and chunky and didn't flow. and i have to say i odn't like lauren the only time i've ever liked her was when she was with neil in the first couple of weeks. she's boring...and she's just another pretty face.

The solos were all pretty lame. very boring...except for sabra she's amazing!

I think that the top 4 will be
Sabra, Neil, Danny, Lacey
it's about time lauren leaves.
As much as i love Pasha i think he might be leaving. Sabra and Neil had way to good of a night for them to leave. Not that sabra would ever. And i think that Lauren's a good dancer but she's definitely not top 4 material. She's kind of forgetable.