Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Golden Globe Awards - Oh Yeah, This Was Still Going On?

I kept forgetting the Golden Globes was on this weekend. I usually love watching the Golden Globes. Drunk Stars? A willingness to pick more off-beat picks? Usually made for a better awards show.

Still, with apologies to the deserved nominees and winners, I just didn't care as much this year, in part because I wish the whole WGA strike would get resolved properly.

Still, there's nothing on between The Amazing Race and one of the final Brothers & Sisters.

NBC couldn't get anyone better to host the "press conference" other than Billy Bush? Why the hell is Billy Bush making opinionated comments? Who cares? Isn't he hired to be a pretty(ish) face?

Oh, CNN is carrying the actual live announcement. Though what's with the fake drum role? That's just ridiculous.

I kinda like hearing all the winners one after the other. This strike may have just started something. I miss the "oh. ME?" shocked surprised look (the better the actor, the more real the "shocked" look looks) but getting all the awards over with in 30 minutes was a big plus.

And whatever you think of Melissa Rivers, I must say, she's quite adamant about clearing up the rumours and issues around the writers strike and is extremely supportive of the writers. I gotta give her props for that.

Anyways, here are the winners (and nominations in the link) and some of my kneejerk reactionary comments:

Best Supporting Actress - Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There

Best Supporting TV Actor - Jeremy Piven - Entourage

Best Actress TV Drama - Glenn Close - Damages

Best Supporting TV Actress - Samantha Morton - Longford - I hate when TV-movie people win in this category. They shouldn't be even in this category.

Best Actor TV Drama - Jon Hamm - Mad Men - Oh Yey! I didn't know who this actor was before I saw the show but he was simply mesmerizing in Mad Men and an actor to watch out for from now on.

Best Motion Picture Actress, Musical or Comedy - Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose

Best Supporting Actor, Motion Picture - Javier Bardem - No Country For Old Men - I would agree if I watched his performance but he was so scary I think I closed my eyes through 90% of the time he was on the screen.

Best Original Song - "Guaranteed" - Into the Wild - Whatever. It was the "cool" choice. I'm so over the "cool" choices in the song categories now.

Best Animated Film - Ratatouille - Was there really any other competition? Persepolis maybe but Ratatouille had it all. Smarts and popularity.

Best TV Movie or Mini-Series - Longford

Best Actor in a TV Movie or Mini-Series - Jim Broadbent - Longford

Best Actress in a TV Movie or Mini-Series - Queen Latifah - Life Support

Best Motion Picture Screenplay - Ethan and Joel Cohen - No Country For Old Men

Best Actor TV Comedy - David Duchovny - Californication - WHAT??? Love David but WHAT??? Over Alec? Over Lee Pace? Over Ricky Gervais?

Best TV Series Comedy - Extras - Wow, I don't disagree even though I would have liked to see Pushing Daisies or 30 Rock win.

Best Motion Picture Actress, Drama - Julie Christie - Away From Her - I just watched this yesterday and for once, I actually think the "give it to the old person" award was actually deserved.

Best Original Score, Motion Picture - Dario Marianelli - Atonement

Best Actress TV Comedy - Tina Fey - 30 Rock - Yey and neh! Such a strong category that I would have been happy AND mad at the same time with any of the choices.

Best Director, Motion Picture - Julian Schnabel - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Wow, that's pretty cool actually.

Best Motion Picture Actor, Musical or Comedy - Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Best Picture, Musical or Comedy - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Best Foreign Language Film - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - This is probably the first time I've actually heard of all the nominees and almost all got North American releases BEFORE the Oscars. That's nice to see!

Best TV Drama - Mad Men - Oh yey!

Best Motion Picture Actor, Drama - Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood - Can DDL do a bad job acting? Though I'd like to see him do something light for once. Let's see him take on a musical comedy. Now THAT'S HARD!

Best Picture, Drama - Atonement - Wow, so that keeps this movie back in the Oscar race. If there is still a race.

Overall, pretty good. I might have chose some different winners but no winner really offended me or was totally undeserving.

No comments: