Saturday, January 12, 2008

Who The F#$K is Vance?

Vance is not my real name. Some of you may know that. Some of you are like, what the f#$k is this all? Why the hell am I reading some random anonymous person's blog and his (usually rosey) opinions on all things entertainment (but mostly TV)?

Alright, here goes (and all thanks to Manuel at A Blog Next Door, yeah, thanks a lot.):

The Ten Question Meme

1. When you were born, how much did you weigh?
Since I started this anonymously so work wouldn't find out what I do when I'm supposed to be working, and in case I disparage somebody I work/end up working with (I totally called out that Lyndsay Lohan was a total hoebag and this was before her partying days) I technically should keep this all private in my techno paranoid world but since I already know everyone knows my blog and still ignores it, I can say that I've been crying all year after turning 30 back in March. Yes, I'm a Pieces. I don't know what that means. And I weighed 7lb 8ounces at birth. No idea what that is in metric. I know. I'm a bad Canadian.

2. What's your sugar poison?
Pop songs (the more sugary and sweet, the better, Westlife I think does it best) and anything covered in chocolate. If it's covered in chocolate, I would probably lick it off. Just in case you had any ideas...

3. If you had to choose between meat and cheese for the rest of your life, which would you choose? Then be specific.
I'm actually going to stick to the non-inuendo'd version of this question and say meat. I'm Asian. I can't do cheese. Well, actually, apparently I'm a high class Asian because the good cheese in Europe is lovely, but the crap North American cheese makes me ill. So give me meat any day (despite the destructive nature of raising cattle). Steak, Lamb, Turkey, Chicken, Goat. If it used to move, I'll love it. And everything wrapped in bacon is good. Though I wonder if chocolate covered bacon would work? Or maybe it has to be a bacon wrapped chocolate?

4. What, in your opinion, is the worst song ever?
Considering my propensity for Pop songs and love of Abba, I'm going to have to think about this, since I know most people will think my favorite songs are the worst songs ever. I know this because I was yelled at often in university when I played my music loudly in the architecture studio, in res, or in my apartment with my roomates, or maybe it was because I sang out loud to them on top of that?

I'm going to have to think about this some more and get back to this. Maybe in another special post?

5. Who was your favorite teacher growing up and why?
People can complain about the education system here all they want but I had it pretty damn good with some amazing teachers all through my life, from Mrs. Nicholson in Sr. Kindergarten, Ms. Laughlin and Mrs. Nicholson (again) in grade 3 (they were testing a new system of having 2 teachers teaching 60 kids in an open classroom school, I loved it), Mrs. McClennan in grade 6, Mrs. Vickers in grade 8, Mrs. Pieroni for Art in High School, Mr. Paonesa for Drama, Mr. Vindischman for Geography, Mr. Belasario for English and the history teacher I can't remember the name of at this moment, but the one that I still think has had the greatest influence on my life was Mr. Kortenaar, the science teacher who was young and giving yet sarcastic and against the older established establishment. Yes, he was one of those Hollywood teacher stories except with a Dave Letterman sense of humour. Plus, he told us all the secret gossip of the rest of the staff. It was great! I wouldn't have gone to McGill if it weren't for him and I wouldn't have changed career paths to what I really wanted if it weren't for him. Okay, cue tears now. And sweeping music. Of course, the sad part I just realised is that I am now older than he was when he taught us. What the f#$k have I done with my life? Maybe they weren't so great teachers after all.

6. What personal activity, when performed in public, bothers you the most?

When a kiss turns into a full on making out session, unless they are hot and I would want to join in. Then I just stare creepily.

or...

Anything people do in China. Seriously. My people are kinda gross sometimes. With the spitting, the butting into queues, the spitting (or horking really), the babies/lil' kids still peeing on public streets. I know everyone's all rah rah about China now especially with the Olympics but everytime I return, I thank god my grandparents and parents escaped. I'm appalled at the lack of social customs and rules whenever I'm in China (though when you're competing with a billion other people, what's sneaking into a lineup at McDonalds? (and by McDonalds, I use it as a loose example and not it specifically, even though, ahem, I've eaten McDonalds more times in Hong Kong than I do when I'm in North America, which is just so wrong, I know)). Let's see how there "Line Up" days on the 11th of each month works out (the 11th because the two 1's look like line ups. Seriously. I'm not making this shit up).

7. Ok, there's a $50 bill lying on the ground. You pick it up. Dumbfounded by your incredible luck, what do you selfishly purchase?
There's a reason why Manuel sent this meme to me. Cause my answer to this question would almost be identical to his. A TV-DVD set? A Broadway show (only I have seen some and thus, where our answers differ), or a night of debauchery with friends. Depends how I felt.

8. Do you have a recurring nightmare? If so, explain.
I still wake up to this day thinking I forgot to do something, missed an assignment or slept in through an exam. I don't like to disappoint and I stress about it. I still wake up once in a while thinking I need to rush to school to finish my damn thesis. And that was almost 6 years ago now.

9. Name one place on Earth you've never been, but vow to visit at least once.
I'm a traveller so I want to go everywhere eventually and my typical kneejerk reaction to this question would be Egypt but I think I'm going to go with Fiji right now only because it's been a long year and I'm tired and that just sounds nice. If somehow environmentally destructive (why I didn't choose the Galapagos).

10. You notice that question #9 wasn't really a question. You feel smart for catching such a small detail. What else can you do really well that reminds you how smart you are?
Everything. (You think I'm kidding don't you? :P)

Tagging for Ten Questions: Liz at Glowy BoxThe Rural Juror, and the three Dan's at Ducky Does TVThe TV Addict, and Ti Faux

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nooooooo! I hate memes! Daaamn you, Vance! I will give you my quick answers here, which is totally cheating, but the best you're gonna get out of me. :P (Also, how did I never notice the proliferation of Dans in the TV blogosphere until now?)

1) What a random question! 6 lb 4 oz, I think.
2) Vegan cupcakes. With lots of frosting.
3) ...Apparently, I'm so naive I don't even get the innuendo. Thus, I will also answer straight-up. Which is easy, since I'm vegan. No meat, no cheese!
4) That's a tough call, since some songs are so bad they're good. One that's gotten on my nerves a lot since it came out is that "If I Were a Rich Girl" song by Gwen Stefani. Worst pop/musical theater crossover EVER.
5) Um...I had a pretty great media studies prof. in college who really helped me learn how to critically analyze what the media is feeding me. I also had an awesome ecology teacher in high school who taught me how to identify animals through their tracks in the snow. Guess which one is more valuable to TV blogging? (Trick question--they're BOTH useful!)
6) Yeah, like Vance, I'm gonna have to go with PDA on this one. Just because I see it all the damn time on the subway.
7) I'm gonna say I go on a book-buying splurge. Hardcover, just-released books. SO selfish.
8) Not specifically, just a lot of stressful dreams related to what's going on at work.
9) I'd love to visit Japan. But there are so many options, really...
10) Um...I'm a pretty fast reader?

THERE. I hope you're happy. ;)

Anonymous said...

Still dreaming that you need to finish your thesis project? Yikes!