Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Awards That Actually Don't Make Me Throw Up - The TCA Award Nominations

Well, officially the TV season is over and it's Emmy voting season time. Not that anybody that reads me gets to vote or not that I get to vote (cause maybe for once their might actually be some decent nominees then and if I have time I'll be posting about my wish picks for this years Emmy's).

Which is why I love the TCA Awards because it stands for the Television Critics Association (Michael Ausiello, Ken Tucker, Matt Roush, Alan Sepinwall, and Maureen Ryan amongst them) and they generally have better picks than the other award shows. As in, shows that actually deserve awards. (Here was last years noms)

The full list of nominees (with my 2 cents in Red as usual):

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR

John Adams (HBO)
Lost (ABC)
Friday Night Lights (NBC)
Mad Men (AMC)
Ken Burns' The War (PBS)
The Wire (HBO)

Solid category from what I've seen or heard. I would give this to Lost this year, even though I love Friday Night Lights and Mad Men is terrific. I still haven't started The Wire yet but I know I know, it's supposed to be one of the best shows ever.

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY

30 Rock (NBC)
The Colbert Report (Comedy Central)
The Daily Show (Comedy Central)
Flight of the Conchords (HBO)
The Office (NBC)

I don't get Flight of the Conchords. As in, I don't get the channel nor do I understand it when I've seen it. Colbert and Daily are always great but I thought this year belongs to 30 Rock.

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA

Damages (FX)
Friday Night Lights (NBC)
Lost (ABC)
Mad Men (AMC)
The Wire (HBO)

I could pretty much make a case for any of these shows winning. Again, this is Lost's year but everything is else is so strong that this is an amazing set of nominees.

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT MOVIES, MINI-SERIES AND SPECIALS

John Adams (HBO)
Masterpiece: Cranford (PBS)
Masterpiece: Jane Austen Collection (PBS)
Ken Burns' The War (PBS)
A Raisin in the Sun (ABC)

I only saw A Raisin in the Sun but everything else was supposed to be pretty good.

OUTSTANDING NEW PROGRAM

Breaking Bad (AMC)
Damages (FX)
Flight of the Conchords (HBO)
Mad Men (AMC)
Pushing Daisies (ABC)

Again, other than Flight which I just don't get, it's a great group, though I would lean towards Pushing Daisies but I could also give it to Mad Men or Damages and be totally thrilled as well.

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY

Christina Applegate (Samantha Who? )
Alec Baldwin (30 Rock)
Stephen Colbert (The Colbert Report)
Tina Fey (30 Rock)
Ray Wise (Reaper)

Wow, Reaper got a nomination! Reaper was remembered! Love Applegate and Colbert but I'm split between 30 Rock's Fey and Baldwin.

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA

Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights)
Glenn Close (Damages)
Paul Giamatti (John Adams)
Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
David Simon (The Wire)

Can everyone get an award? Or at least Britton, Close and Hamm?

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN CHILDREN'S PROGRAMMING

Curious George (PBS)
High School Musical 2 (The Disney Channel)
Hannah Montana (Disney Channel)
Word Girl (PBS)
Yo Gabba Gabba (Nickelodeon)

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN NEWS AND INFORMATION

Alive Day Memories (HBO)
This American Life (Showtime)
Frontline (PBS)
Nimrod Nation (Sundance Channel)
Ken Burns' The War (PBS)

HERITAGE AWARD

M*A*S*H (CBS)
Roots (ABC)
Saturday Night Live (NBC)
Sesame Street (PBS)
The Wire (HBO)

CAREER ACHIEVEMENT

James Garner
Lorne Michaels
Bill Moyers
William Shatner
Mike Wallace

The TCA Awards are scheduled for Saturday, July 19.

Considering there was much love for Aliens in America by the critics, I wish it had gotten some recognition before it dies it early death by the hands of the evil Dawn Ostroff. Plus Kyle Chandler still deserves recognition of his amazing portroyal but at least his counterpart Connie Britton is still on the list (that I will admit, is fully crowded with deserving performances).

No comments: