Thursday, October 09, 2008

Dolly Parton On My Mind

I can't stop humming "9 to 5".



It is a REALLY damn catchy tune and now I can't stop thinking about Andy Blankenbuehler's choreography from the new stage musical running at the Ahmanson Theatre in LA that will open on Broadway at the Marquis in the spring. (Video clip from what I could find at the bottom of the post).

And for those 5 to 9 people who actually care about my stage review, I swear I'll have it out soon.

I'm just re-watching the movie right now (not on youtube but I noticed someone put the whole thing up) and boy, the stage version sticks a lot closer to the movie than I thought. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid but even the office ceiling is replicated on the stage set!

Also, what ever happened to Jane Fonda? I loved her. Plus Lily Tomlin rocks! Do I even need to say how wonderful Dolly Parton is?

I will say though that I had forgotten what the exact plot was while I watched the stage musical and totally forgot that they kidnapped Dabney Coleman (a somewhat too sexy for his own good Marc Kudisch in the stage version). I was like... REALLY? That was the movie? I guess it is! Even the pot smoking couch sisterhood bonding scene and the fantasy montages are taken directly from the movie. I did NOT remember that from when I saw it as a kid. I guess it all makes more sense now that I understand.

Here's a montage of the show that doesn't really show how much fun the choreography or the show is:

3 comments:

Esther said...

Thanks for the clip. It does look like fun! And it's been years since I've seen the movie, too, so I probably wouldn't have remembered those things either.

TP said...

9 to 5 ... one of my ALL TIME favorite movies and an awesome song too. So hard to say my favorite scene - Dabney Coleman in the garage-door-opener sling; Parton, Tomlin and Fonda with their Maui Wowie; Lily Tomlin's animated dream sequence with the Skinny & Sweet/rat poison. Ah, it's classic! Gotta figure out how to make it to the stage show!

Joseph Gomez said...

haha... the pot smoking scene. classic.