Wednesday, May 07, 2008

American Idol - Remember My Name, Fame

Top 4 Performance Night - Theme: Songs from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Theme sounds progressive but actually it means it's part of a museum archive. When are these kids every going to be allowed to sing anything fresh? For a top 4 episode, the episode again lacked pizazz and was kinda tame. Or lame?

"I'm gonna live forever, I'm gonna learn how to fly, High"
David Cook sings "Hungry Like The Wolf" and "Baba O'Reilly" and its not bad but somehow it feels less David Cook than a regular week I feel somehow he's off. Especially with "Wolf" which was practically screamed into the microphone. His second turn was better but the regular Cook spark didn't emerge like normal. I want my rockin' David Cook back!

"I feel it coming together, People will see me and cry"
Syesha Mercado sings "Rolling on the River" and "A Change Is A coming". River was pretty good, I felt she finally got into character, but it was too much of a character and yet again, I didn't feel like I could see the real Syesha. I hate saying this because it always seems to be used as a put down but it was a bit Broadway and I mean that as in, she should go to Broadway and be in character. Her voice is spectacular, but I've never felt like I knew her. She's showed more soul and emotion in the last few weeks, so it might actually be perfect for performing in a show, as opposed to being a music star as herself. The second song bored me to tears. The old forgettable Syesha returned. Randy pretty much said what I was thinking. Which made Syesha cry.

"I'm gonna make it to heaven, Light up the sky like a flame" (as in go down in flames? or is it that big doogie he's smokin'?)
Jason Castro sings "I Shot The Sheriff" and Mr. Tambourine Man" . HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Breathe.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Breathe.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Did his dreads get longer for this show?

"I'm gonna live forever, Baby remember my name..."
David Archuleta sings "Stand By Me" and "Love Me Tender". Smooth. Pitch and tonally perfect. I've said it before but say what you will, but you can't knock this guy in technical terms. Fake or not, I want to listen to his voice more and more and more. Simply darling!

"Remember, Remember, Remember, Remember, Remember, Remember, Remember, Remember"
Best of the night: David Archuleta

Next Best: Tie between David Cook and Syesha Mercado

Worst of the night: Isn't it obvious? Jason Castro

Going home?PLEASE OH PLEASE LET IT BE JASON CASTRO. PUHLEEEZE.

Now it comes down to demographics. Who is going to call in for their favorites? Please don't let another Daughtry or Tamyra happen again. PLEASE.

All the videos of the performances are after the jump:


Syesha Mercado - "Proud Mary":



Syesha Mercado - "A Change Is Gonna Come":




Jason Castro - "I Shot The Sherriff"



Jason Castro - "Mr. Tambourine Man"




David Cook - "Hungry Like The Wolf"



David Cook - "Baba O'Reilly"




David Archuleta - "Stand By Me"



David Archuleta - "Love Me Tender":



For more on American Idol Season 7:
Click here for the most recent posts.

Top 5 Performance Night -
Diamonds Are Forever, And Ever, And Ever... When Are These Songs Going To End? (includes videos of all the performances), Results 6 to 5 - 1 More Down, 2 More To Go

Top 6 Performance Night -
[title of song] (includes videos of all the performances), Results 6 to 5 - Broadway Bound Or Bust

Top 7 Performance Night -
MC² = David x 2 = #1 (includes videos of all the performances), Results 7 to 6 - One Sweet Day Or When Idol Guesses Our Second Guessing On Our Second Guesses

Top 8 Performance Night -
Cause They Are Give'ers</span> (includes videos of all the performances), Idol Gives Back - Giving Us The So You Think You Can Dance Dancers, Results 8 to 7 - Idol Gives Back SyeWHAT???

Top 9 Performance Night -
Dolly and the Two Big Ones (David and David) (includes videos of all the performances), Results 9 to 8 - Third Time Was A Charm

Top 10 Performance Night -
Okay, Now there Really IS A Race! Or I'm Just Getting Soft (includes videos of all the performances), Results 10 to 9 - Chikezie, Meet Daniel Powter... Back in Obscurity

Top 11 Performance Night -
That Old Awkward Phase (includes videos of all the performances), Results 11 to 10 - When The Stylists Finally Called In

Top 12 Performance Night -
Death Race 2008 (includes videos of all the performances), Results 12 to 11 - Strippers and Prostitutes Are Not The Same Thing

Top 16 -
Girls Night - Brooke's and Done, Boys Night - He Plays Piano Too?

Top 20 -
Boys Night - Who Are Those Hotties - American Idol Hairdo's Edition

Top 24 -
Boys Night- American, Should I Do Idol?

Thanks to Rickey for the photos.

2 comments:

Linz McC said...

You crack me up. I love the "Fame" lyrics. I would like to remind everyone that Madonna, U2, and REM are in the R&R HoF. Why can we not hear one of those songs? Or are those artists smart enough to keep their songs off of Idol?

Vance said...

thanks! I actually had a hard time for once trying to name this post but then it finally came to me in some weird tangential epiphany!

It helps that "Fame" is AWESOME!

The fact the lyrics sort of fit the order of the singers was a little weird.