Wednesday, May 21, 2008

American Idol - Who Needs Goliath?

Top 2 Performance Night - Theme: The Finals!!! Duh!!!

Let's get right down to the comparisons. Who's better at the PR game? David Archuleta has always played the aw-shucks-I'm-just-a-perfect-boy card that's probably been rehearsed and drilled into him by his infamous father to the point where I really think David A. believes it and doesn't know any better. It sounds rehearsed and like a Disney kewpie doll with strings being pulled but I really do believe that he believes it.

David Cook seems aloof and charming and real and still knows exactly what to say to be the nice guy who rocks. As far as he's concerned, they've already won and just having fun now. He's that cool guy that you want to know that isn't a jerk.

Let's get right down to it, who had the better makeover? Honestly, their original Fox publicity shots were (ahem) decent at best (and I'm being nice here). Now? Both are HOT-TIES. Amazing what a good haircut can do. (Remind me to book an appointment with the stylist).

So, let's get right down to it? Who do I like better? Truly hard call for me. I love both before this weeks finals, I really do, and while I called Archuleta's win early on and dismissed Cook in the early weeks, Cook really grew strong FAST and I think he would make a great representative for Idol if he wins, someone a bit more "edgy" for the Idol franchise that the American version has never had (there's Daughtry but he didn't actually win). As for Archuleta, we've never had the matinee idol type win the American version either, and though it's out of fashion in the real world, his technical singing skills are superb enough to change that.


So let's get right down to it. How did they perform tonight?

David Cook sings Clive Davis' choice "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and he does a pretty great version that starts off the night with a bang. I can see it as a single and I can see him as a star.

David Archuleta sings Clive Davis' choice "Don't Let The Sun Go Down" and he's not letting the contest go down and comes back fighting with an AMAZING rendition of the classic, and it showcases everything Archuleta has going for him, and why he was the early favorite from the get go.

David Cook sings the Idol writing contest song "Dream Big" and David Archuleta sings the Idol writing contest song "In This Moment" and while Cook tries to rock his song, Archuleta turns his into the ballad that it was written as, and the song is tailor made for Archuleta's smooth vocals. I always find these Idol songs lame and disappointing and usually gives an advantage to the ballad belters, but that being said, I found I liked David Cook but not his song, but then loved Archuleta singing his.

David Cook sings his personal choice "The World I Know" and he sounds great! It's another terrific performance, he looks awesome, and it feels real and I like the quiet subtlety to the performance, though it didn't have that last little kick that grabs us by the throat, but terrific nonetheless.

David Archuleta sings his personal choice "Imagine" and he grabs it by the throat and tears it apart and as the judges say, makes the knockout complete in a very hard fight.

Definitely one of the better finals, if not the best (again, see my previous weeks comments since I never thought there were two strong Top 2 finals ever, usually one strong contestant at most, because I know so many of you debbie downers think every new year is worse than before... and if you want proof it ISN'T...look, there's Ruben thrown at the end of the show (???!???) showing that the two David's could definitely win against the goliath Studard).

Best of the night: David Archuleta

Who do I want to win? Honestly, either David's would be fine with me.

Who is going to win? I would have said David Cook before tonight and I still think his camp might call in enough. He would be a fresh choice to win, but Archuleta had a terrific night in a terrific season where he started off the season that was his to lose, and while it came close, I think he just might pull it off. But really, I have no idea what I'm talking about and have no idea who is going to win.

All the videos of the performances are after the jump:


David Cook - "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"



David Archuleta - "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"



David Cook - "Dream Big"



David Archuleta - "In This Moment"



David Cook - "The World I Know"



David Archuleta - "Imagine"




For more on American Idol Season 7:
Click here for the most recent posts.

Top 3 Performance Night -
Choice Cuts (includes videos of all the performances), Results 3 to 2 - The Shocking Results

Top 4 Performance Night -
Remember My Name, Fame (includes videos of all the performances), Results 4 to 3 - Thank You America

Top 5 Performance Night -
Diamonds Are Forever, And Ever, And Ever... When Are These Songs Going To End? (includes videos of all the performances)

Top 6 Performance Night -
[title of song] (includes videos of all the performances), Results 6 to 5 - Broadway Bound Or Bust

Top 7 Performance Night -
MC² = David x 2 = #1 (includes videos of all the performances), Results 7 to 6 - One Sweet Day Or When Idol Guesses Our Second Guessing On Our Second Guesses

Top 8 Performance Night -
Cause They Are Give'ers (includes videos of all the performances), Idol Gives Back - Giving Us The So You Think You Can Dance Dancers, Results 8 to 7 - Idol Gives Back SyeWHAT???

Top 9 Performance Night -
Dolly and the Two Big Ones (David and David) (includes videos of all the performances), Results 9 to 8 - Third Time Was A Charm

Top 10 Performance Night -
Okay, Now there Really IS A Race! Or I'm Just Getting Soft (includes videos of all the performances), Results 10 to 9 - Chikezie, Meet Daniel Powter... Back in Obscurity

Top 11 Performance Night -
That Old Awkward Phase (includes videos of all the performances), Results 11 to 10 - When The Stylists Finally Called In

Top 12 Performance Night -
Death Race 2008 (includes videos of all the performances), Results 12 to 11 - Strippers and Prostitutes Are Not The Same Thing

Top 16 -
Girls Night - Brooke's and Done, Boys Night - He Plays Piano Too?

Top 20 -
Boys Night - Who Are Those Hotties - American Idol Hairdo's Edition

Top 24 -
Boys Night- American, Should I Do Idol?


Thanks to Rickey for the photos.

No comments: