Thursday, September 13, 2007

Fall Movie Preview - December

Alright, so here's the final month of the year, and the fall movie season, the big rush to Christmas and the Oscars! So, all my Fall Movie Previews are done (links at the bottom). I seemed to have skipped a lot of the darker and more serious films this year, which I usually love. Is that a sign about my mental health or something? Is it like the film equivalent to gorging on ice cream? Anyways, here's my final list for the December releases (again, release dates subject to change).

The Golden Gompass (Dec. 7)

Based on the book series His Dark Materials AND starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig and a big white CGI polar bear. How can this not spur curiosity!?!


Atonement (Dec. 7)

Based on the novel, and some more new star power consisting of Keira Knightley and James McAvoy (The Chronicles of Narnia). Looks depressing and swooning with Oscar clout.

Leatherheads (Dec. 7)

John Krasinski (The Office) gets to join the big boys (George Clooney) and girls (Renee Zellweger) in a movie co-written by Rick Reilly (the only reason I ever flip through Sports Illustrated) that is basically an old romantic comedy with another love triangle set against a football game. Looks cute.


Juno (Dec. 14)

If there is one movie I'm MOST excited about, this is it. Since I heard the cast, consisting of two brilliant young Canadian actors, Michael Sera (now a star from Superbad, Arrested Development) and Ellen Page (X-Men 3, Hard Candy) AND Sera's Arrested Development dad Jason Batemen, along with Jennifer Garner, and then two always reliable character actors JK Simmons (Spider-Man, Law & Order) and Allison Janney (Hairspray, The West Wing) and you have a powerhouse cast for this TEENY TINY MOVIE about two young teens who get pregnant and another couple who want to adopt the baby. Oh, and it's a comedy. By Jason Reitman who did the clever Thank You For Smoking. Word around TIFF is it might be the cute break-out hit this year (think Little Miss Sunshine, which oddly enough I compared to Thank You For Smoking except I liked TYFS more than LMS but of course, LMS got all the attention).


P.S. I Love You (Dec. 21)

Sort of a tragi-romantic comedy? I think? Who cares. It's Hilary Swank and Gerard "300" Butler! Add in Lisa Kudrow and Gina Gershon as friends, and Harry Connick Jr. and Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Grey's Anatomy, Supernatural) in the cast and I am SOOO there. Plus the poster is quite hot/romantic.


Sweeney Todd (Dec. 25)

I can't believe that there was a musical about a serial killer whose wife baked the dead into meat pies. Then I couldn't believe it was named Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Then I can't believe Tim Burton is directing it with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. Then I can't believe that it's not Christmas Day yet cause I'm dying to see this (but not enough to be turned into a meat pie, thank you very much).


Charlie Wilson's War (Dec. 25)

I have a feeling it'll suck and be super boring but it's Mike Nichols (Closer) directing Julia Roberts (again) and Tom Hanks... and I LOOOOOOOVE Julia Roberts. And America LOOOOOOVES Tom Hanks (well, and Julia too). Plus, I love some of the rest of the cast too, including Amy Adams (also in November's Enchanted), Shiri Appleby (Roswell), and Emily Blunt (also in September's The Jane Austin Book Club).


The Savages (Dec. 26)

Laura Linney and Phillip Seymour Hoffman together in what looks like some indie dramedy about some crazed family. I likey!


Movies That I Don't Know Enough About But Still Sound Intriguing So Waiting To Hear More:
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Dec. 19)
Persepolis (Dec. 25)

Link here for my picks for the Fall Movie Preview 2007 -
September

October
November

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I like your little movie preview. I don't read everything (sorry :-( ), but I enjoy checking out what's coming out soon.

I am excited for "The Golden Compass," I read the script a while ago and really liked it. I haven't read the book though.

Anonymous said...

just finished watching PS I love You, it was all around OK, Harry Connick Jr. did a great job in particular