Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Fall Movie Preview - November

November is usually when the Oscar rush really starts happening but the more I look at the selection, the more I'm not that interested. Here are the movies that sort of intrigue me that are set for release in November (again, dates subject to change).

Lions for Lambs (Nov. 9)

Robert Redford, Meryl Streep, Tom Cruise. These names might have made even more of an impact 15 years ago but it's still pretty huge, and crazy or not, Tom Cruise still has some dramatic heft in it (I mean, he's been playing the role of a normal likable straight Tom Cruise for his whole life. If that's not acting, I don't know what is). Plus, Meryl!


Margot At The Wedding (Nov 16)

Speaking of Tom Cruise's acting life, ex-wife Nicole Kidman stars in this indie dramedy about a woman Margot who disapproves of her sister's (Jennifer Jason Leigh) choice of husband (Jack Black). Again, another odd cast this fall that totally peaks my interest, though I was one of the few people that wasn't thrilled with director Noah Baumbach's last movie, The Squid and the Whale (totally overated and done before).


Enchanted (Nov. 21)

A cartoon fairytale comes to life! Just what I've been dreaming about all my life! Disney puts a modern (and real life) twist to their princess stories, with the formidable Amy Adams (Junebug) as princess in question, Susan Sarandon as an evil Queen, James Marsden (Hairspray, X Men) as the overly perfect prince, and Patrick Dempsey (Grey's Anatomy) as the real life regular guy the princess encounters in the real world. Hmm... I wonder who she will fall in love with during these modern times?


I'm Not There (Nov. 21)

Not a Dylan fan. Sorry, the mumbling and "beautiful" poetry does nothing for me. But this retelling of Bob Dylan's life by Todd Haynes (the amazing Far From Heaven), with 6 actors (including Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, Richard Gere and Cate Blanchett) playing him, sounds strange enough to be interesting.


August Rush (Nov. 21)

The trailer made this sweeping tale of an orphan boy (Freddie Highmore, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) trying to find his musical parents (Keri Russell, Waitress, Felicity and Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Bend it Like Beckham, The Tudors) looked equally moving and romantic and cloying and overdramatic but I'll give it a chance because I like all those involved enough.


Cassandra's Dream (Nov. 30)

Although apparently getting mixed reviews last night at the TIFF screening, I so want to see the pairing of Ewan McGregor(probably one of my Top 5) and Colin Farrell in a Woody Allen movie back in his Match Point mode filming in the UK.

Movies I Should Care About But Just Don't, Probably Because of the Violence Which I'm Just So Over Right Now After The Summer Movie Season:
American Gangster (Nov. 2)
No Country for Old Men (Nov. 9)

Titles I Like But Still Sitting On The Fence About It:
Love in The Time Of Cholera (Nov. 16)

Link here for my picks for the Fall Movie Preview 2007 -
September

October
December

No comments: