Monday, September 17, 2007

Fall TV Preview - What's Tapeworthy on Mondays

Alright, so with the Fall TV Season just about to start, I'm going to do a day by day-of-the-week guide to what I'm going to watch (essentially already seen in my sidebar chart "Tapeworthy"), what I think will be tapeworthy, what I will give a chance for a few weeks, and what I'm going to avoid. I'll start today with Mondays in this post.

I've already run down on some of the pilots that I've seen in my Fall TV Preview (full list on the sidebar), and The TVaddict is helping me out (or shall I say, I've pretty much dumped the whole workload on him) in creating a "Bloggers Guide to the New TV Pilots" Chart which should be out later this week.

As for Mondays this Fall, when did Mondays become the hot night on television again? Here's the Fall TV Preview for Mondays:

All times Eastern based on current scheduled times and all times pm. Green = New Show, Blue = Returning Show, Red = Must Watch Live

NBC seems to have the biggest lock on the night for Mondays.

8:00 - 9:00

I'm a little torn in this time slot. Not sure which I'll be watching live and which I will tape. I know, my life must be pretty sweet if this is the biggest headache of the day. Yes, I'm a spoiled yuppie dink. Anyways, I'm down to:

Chuck - NBC/CityTV 8:00 - 9:00pm - **** WATCH LIVE OR TAPE (Depends if i choose How I Met Your Mother or not) - One of my favorite pilots of this year and better than I expected.









How I Met Your Mother - CBS/E!CH 8:00 - 9:00pm - ****1/2 WATCH LIVE OR TAPE (Depends if I choose Chuck or not) - One of the best comedies around. Both sweet and cynical, funny and awkward. One of my favorite shows on TV right now.







Everybody Hates Chris - The CW 8:00 - 9:00pm - ***1/2 (Plays in Canada on CityTV on Sundays) TAPE (on Sundays) - And here's where living in Canada can be an advantage (other than universal health care, cheaper universities and, well, being Canadian). Our local station shows this on Sundays instead so I can default this to then. I simply adore Tichina Arnold as Chris' mother and the scripts are still cute, but I don't have to watch it live.

The Big Bang Theory - CBS 8:30 - 9:00pm (but may watch LIVE if I watch How I Met Your Mother live) (CTV will air it after Dancing with the Stars is done) - *** TAPE Extremely cute and funnier than I thought it would be. We will see how it comes into its own in the subsequent episodes but it will probably become good comfort food television that doesn't irk me.





Aliens in America - The CW/SUN 8:30 - 9:00pm - *** TAPE Funny and endearing and potentially politicaly biting but with heart.









9:00 - 10:00


Hereos - NBC/Global 9:00 - 10:00pm - **** WATCH LIVE Fun popcorn show though it lost some points in the finale but with Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars) and David Anders (Alias) joining, I'll be sticking with it, still, they better know where they're going and they better get a script doctor to fine tune some of the dialogue.


Corner Gas - CTV 9:30 - 10:00pm - *** TAPE Yes, I actually like this Canadian show. I actually find the dry humour kind of hilarious and the characters endearing if not slightly weird and absurd.

Samantha Who? - ABC 9:30-10:00pm - TAPE Haven't seen it yet, but I like the women on the show (Christina Applegate, Melissa McCarthy (Gilmore Girls), Jean Smart (24, Desigining Women)), though I've heard both good and bad things about it now. Will have to see how it pans out.







10:00 - 11:00

Journeyman - NBC/Global 9:00 - 10:00pm - ***1/2 WATCH/TAPE I'm sort of a sucker for these time-travelling shows, especially ones that are NOT too sci-fi oriented, plus, I love Kevin McKidd.








Shows I may flip by, especially when Albert Reed or Cameron Mathison are on: Dancing with the Stars

It's Not Me, It's You; Shows I dumped last year: Prison Break

Shows I'm avoiding: CSI: Miami, unless I want a good laugh (or a drinking game idea), so then I may watch for a few minutes and count how many times David Caruso can put on and take off his sunglasses. Two and a Half Men.

Shows I Don't Realise Still Exist: Girlfriends, The Game, Rules of Engagement, The Bachelor.

New Shows I Don't Care About At All (UPDATE: Wasn't That Bad But Still Not Enough To Make Me Care Week After Week): K-Ville


For the Fall TV Preview for the rest of the week:
Mondays
Tuesdays
Wednesdays
Thursdays
Fridays
Sundays


See Sidebar for Pilot Reviews

2 comments:

Liz said...

I gotta say, I'm pretty interested to see what the other bloggers had to say about the pilots. I had a pretty hard time coming up with a score for some of them, because you just KNOW that certain shows are going to get so much better, and certain others just won't be able to keep up the momentum. But them's the breaks, I guess!

umberhaven said...

I think Chuck was the Monday night winner last week. I don't know how well that show will sustain its concept week after week, but I think it had one of the best designed pilots since the first episode of Alias (which unfortunately did not sustain its greatness the longer it was on).

Heroes was also pretty good but felt very transitional. While not exceptional, Journeyman was solid enough for me to continue giving it a chance.

Although last week was it's 2nd episode, I'm still hooked on Prison Break too. I know it gets preposterous sometimes, but nobody does preposterous more entertainingly. ;)