Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fall TV Preview - What's Tapeworthy on Tuesdays

Tuesdays is where my schedule may differ compared to all you Americans, since CTV essentially monopolized so many shows, that they have spill overs, and rearranged things their own way to fit it all in. So while the rest of you have relatively slower night on Tuesdays, us Canadians get to enjoy the cheesy guilty pleasure of Gossip Girl followed by the AMAZING EXCELLENT Pushing Daisies. Did I mention it's amazing? Pushing Daisies? The best new show this year? Excellent!

Here's the Fall TV Preview for Tuesdays:


All times Eastern based on current scheduled times and all times pm. Green = New Show, Blue = Returning Show, Red = Must Watch Live

CTV seems to have the biggest lock on the night for Tuesdays.

7:00 - 8:00

CTV gets started early on Tuesdays starting on Oct. 2nd when they move Gossip Girl to this early time slot.

Gossip Girl - CANADA ONLY on CTV 7:00 - 8:00pm (I made a mistake earlier and mentioned it moves to 7pm on Oct 2nd, but it moves on set. 25th) - *** WATCH - I sort of planned to hate The CW but I'm a nice guy (read: sucker) and I'm easy (read: preeeeety peeeeeople) so this show, which is like the bitchier version of The OC, only with even more stock characters (seriously, The OC looks deep by comparison) is totally ready made for guilty pleasure. I enjoyed the pilot far more than I anticipated and I'm ready for my next fix already. Definitely crack TV.




8:00 - 9:00

Pushing Daisies - CANADA ONLY on CTV 8:00 - 9:00pm - **** WATCH LIVE - Again, I can't say this enough, though I don't want to overhype it because its' charms are not the blow-you-away-like-Heroes-or-Lost type but something else entirely, but The BEST NEW SHOW THIS YEAR. PERIOD. You will fall in love with Lee Pace and Anna Friel. Unless you have a heart of stone.





Bones - FOX/Global 8:00 - 9:00pm - ***1/2 TAPE - I love this show but I don't have to watch it live. That still doesn't diminish how good this show can be, especially considering, I was tired of precedurals about 3 years ago but this one is one of the few that still keeps me coming back for more, possibly because the characters actually have CHARACTERS and are played by likable actors.





Beauty and the Geek - The CW 8:00 - 9:00pm ** FLIP BY Okay. I confess. I've never talked about this show on the blog but I think I've seen all of season 1, and about half of seasons 2 and a few of seasons 3, AND parts of the UK version as well. I won't make way for this show but if it's on, I love watching it. It's like eating chips. Have a taste and I end up gobbling up the whole thing, then I feel guilty afterwards. Apparently there is a twist this year with one couple being the OPPOSITE, with a FEMALE GEEK and a HOT GUY. OOOOOH... da da DUM.


9:00 - 10:00

Reaper - The CW/CityTV 9:00 - 10:00pm - *** WATCH - I sort of planned to hate The CW but I'm a nice guy (read: sucker) and I'm easy (read: Bret Harrison is FUUUUUUUUNY and PREEEEETY) so this show about a geeky failure (though if that's a geek, I have no chance in life do I?) who must work for the Devil is quite fun and the duo of Bret Harrison and Tyler Labine is great. Again, I probably should have scored this higher but I have reservations since they recast another favorite thing in the pilot (Nikki Reed bye bye, hello Missy Peregrym) so I'm a vengeful bitch. Just like the devil. Still, it's quite a fun show and I've been saying that Bret Harrison should be a bigger star, so as long as they avoid the devil-of-the-week storyline and add some more depth to the show, it should be a keeper.

House - FOX/Global 9:00 - 10:00pm - ** TAPE There are moments when I feel like I want to drop this show, then they go and fire (okay fine, one quit) all the ducklings and I hear they hired FIVE more ducklings (including Kal Penn (Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, which if you haven't seen yet, you must)) so now I'm back in. For now. I love the cast but the medical procedural was getting tired. I can only care so much about saving the disease-of-the-week so much.





10:00 - 11:00

Boston Legal - NBC/Global 9:00 - 10:00pm - **1/2 TAPE I know. It got way too many Emmy nominations (and win for that matter). But it's so over-the-top that it's fun to watch good actors in the craziness of it all. HOWEVER, they got rid of two of my favorites, Julie Bowen and Mark Valley in yet another cast change (has there ever been stability in this cast?) and added John Laroquette and some other chicks for Denny and Alan to harrass. I may be dropping this soon.


Shows I may flip by because it's not as bad as you think: Cavemen

Shows I like in Theory But Don't Watch Anymore: Law & Order: SVU.

It's Not Looking Good But I'll Give You A Chance Before I Cross You Off My List: Carpoolers, Cashmere Mafia

Shows I'm avoiding: Cane.

Shows I Didn't Realise Still Existed: N.C.I.S, The Unit, The Biggest Loser, The Singing Bee.


For the Fall TV Preview for the rest of the week:
Mondays
Tuesdays
Wednesdays
Thursdays
Fridays
Sundays


See Sidebar for Pilot Reviews

1 comment:

umberhaven said...

I still love House and Boston Legal, and both had excellent season premieres last week.

Looking forward to the shake-ups occurring on House.

I think Boston Legal finally got their casting perfect. They shed all the boring people, added John Larroquette as a love interest for Shirley, promoted two endearing yet oddball recurring characters to full cast member status, and threw in two new attractive ladies for good measure. No one tweaks a cast more than David E. Kelley, but I hope he keeps this cast stable for a while.

The challenges in the 2nd episode of Beauty and the Geek were a little painful to watch this week, but I think they've casted well this season and look forward to seeing players develop.